In 1894 a few men and women of Renfrew gathered for prayer in the home of Mr. William Peacock. Shortly after this, kitchen meetings were arranged and lead by Pastor Joseph Burns of Clydebank Baptist church. When these meetings began to be well attended, RBC met on Sunday, the 6th of November 1898 for the first time, as an official church.
David MacKay conducted services until 1900 when the first pastor, John M’Callum, was called. He served as the second longest pastor of our church until 1911.
On Saturday, the 1st of December, the current church building was opened and is where we meet to this day.
As membership grew, a large hall to the rear of the church was added in 1936. Two years later, a gallery was proposed for the sanctuary, however; with the outbreak of WW2, this was abandoned.
In 1947, the lot adjacent to the church was purchased, which is our car park and the manse, for the grand sum of £200!
In the late fifties and early sixties, RBC’s longest serving pastor at 15 years was Frank Johnston.
Brian is our current pastor and is the 20th minister we have had. He has been serving from September of 2009. Originally from the West Coast of the United States, he and his family are now citizens of the UK.